Archive for March, 2012
Does anyone remember a time when you or your parents would bring a covered dish, perhaps a dessert to the new neighbors? I do and I think it is a tradition that should stand, providing you are a good cook (smile). I got the idea for this from a friend who just today had a neighbor borrow some sugar. I thought that was so old skool that my mind came up with this post.
In that same vein, I would like you to welcome a few of our WordPress neighbors to our little family here. It would be difficult to provide any sort of edible gesture, but if you could visit, welcome and leave a comment, I for one would be most appreciative and would jump through hoops to try to show you just how much I appreciate it. Not all of the blogs/bloggers listed below are new to WordPress. Some have been blogging for quite awhile but they are new to me and perhaps you too.
Visiting these blogs could prove both beneficial to the new neighbor and to you as a new friendship could bloom. I will try to do this once a month or at least as the neighborhood grows. Also, the below listed blogs do not account for the total number of blogs I have been blessed to visit. I did not know I was going to do this so there are those I have inadvertently left out. Please feel free to include yourself in the comment section. No doubt I have the best friends on WordPress and they will be most happy to visit you too.
Next time I hope to keep a more accurate account. Two of the fine bloggers mentioned below have already agreed to guest post for me! Information included with the blog is from their about page. If they don’t have one, I did not write anything. Let’s not all pick from the top! I can’t help thinking about Mr. Fred Rogers.
Friends & Neighbors
Turner Watson – Full-time radio idiot. Seriously, they pay me to be an idiot. I’m also a part-time writer/blogger.
MikeThompkins – Aspiring to become either a broadcast journalist and anchor for television news or a child/teen psychologist/guidance counselor.
Diary of a Sagittarius – A wife, mom & lover of life just trying to survive like the rest of you.
Fay Moore: I Want To Be A Writer – This blog records the journey I am taking from novice dreamer to professional author. Just moved into the neighborhood from Blogger.
Thoughts From A Jaded Heart – Having few people I trust to disclose my inner thoughts fully to, I chose to start a blog. I hoped that by making my words public (albeit anonymous) that it would help more than just writing notes to myself.
FireAndRabbits -It’s sort of become a journey of healing for me as I try to accomplish my goals and obtain wellness in the face of bi-polar disorder.
PhotosDesignsWritings – I photograph. Design. Braid. Write. Sometimes I think way too much. I Laugh. Smile. Love. Learn. Grow. I bleed just like you. Could we judge less and embrace more?
MissMichelleXie – I’m 20 and have absolutely no clue of where I’m heading.
Bunny Ears & Bat Wings – Mom and wife. Freelance writer and editor. Book reviewer. Tea drinker. “The Walking Dead” fanatic
Southern Cricut Lady – Vanessa. Remember that show “thirtysomething”? Yeah, I never watched it either but it’s a good description of my age. I’m from the “South”, I’m a “lady” as in a “getting up there in age” female, and I enjoy making cards with my Cricut.
PsyKoilogy – I am not psychotic but I have tendencies to talk to myself and see things in a different way. I like to call my “psychotic” moments as conversations with the wall. I like talking to the wall…it does not talk back.
Snotting Black – I dream of moving to San Francisco and making a living writing things in English, my mother tongue. I would also like a unicorn puppy that poops butterflies.
Hot Pink Underwear – It’s just that I REALLY want to mention my attractive “unmentionables,” and while I’m at it, I’ve got these scandalous stories lurking in my mind and imaginary people carrying on at all hours about this and that.
TheBlogOfAnnaRae– As you would guess, I enjoy writing as well as photography and music. You could say they are my big three, however, my real number 1 is Jesus Christ. He saved my life and I try to live for him everyday. I mess up daily in my walk with him but he never leaves me. You could say I’ve found my true love!
This Is Just ME – I am just an ordinary girl who loves to talk, to travel and to make people laugh. I am also a girl who seriously falls in love with someone who deserves my heart.
- What NOT to do when Working with Bloggers (fromhiptohousewife.com)
- My various affairs with various blogging sites…until WordPress made me monogamous. (casualnatural.wordpress.com)
- Should you have just one blog? (samanthalukewriteforfun.wordpress.com)
- Racial Hatred in America and Why Was Trayvon Martin Murdered? (vineandbranchworldministries.com)
- Obama ‘If i had a son he’d look like Trayvon’ (bazaardaily.com)
- Obama Speaks Out On Trayvon Martin ‘If I Had A Son, He’d Look Like Trayvon’ (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Photo: The Miami Heat Wear Hoodies To Protest The Killing Of Trayvon Martin (sportsgrid.com)
I thought long and hard before deciding to go ahead with this post. Most of my followers are women. They follow because they must like in some way, what they read. All of the women who follow this blog have a vagina so I really shouldn’t be so worried about what people think. For those it offends, they might not read it, to those who read it, I hope you learn something.
This post is more a reaction from me to a subject that is close to my heart: self esteem. You might be familiar with earlier posts of mine and the poll I created for women. Well this is just a bit of information that made me sad so I thought I would share. This post might be considered NSFW but I really believe it is just PG-13. Still to protect myself and the innocent, the language below is explicit.
A Few Vaginal Facts
- Only one in 10 women think that there is no shame in having discussions about the female genitals.
- Up to 89% of women do not think their genitals are attractive, sexy or beautiful.
- Almost half of women (47%) believe the vagina is the body part they know least about.
- More than half (57%) of women think their genitalia is an improper size.
- Only half of women have ever performed a self-exam of their genitals, and one-quarter (24%) has not looked at her vulva in a year or longer
- Women perceive their genitals very differently than their spouse/partner perceives their genitals.
- Since 2005, Google has reported a “Breakout” increase (more than 5000%) for numerous search terms and phrases related to female genital cosmetic surgery, including “labia surgery”, “labiaplasty”, vaginal rejuvenation”, “vagina surgery cost”, and many more. Note that each search independently increased by more than 5000%.
- Since 2005, Google has reported a “Breakout” increase for numerous searches related to the notion of a “normal” vulva, including “normal labia minora”, “normal labia pictures”, “normal labia size”, “normal vulva”, and many more. Note that each search independently rose by more than 5000%.
- In 2008 the medical group Surgicare (UK) saw a threefold increase in labiaplasty over the previous year, and inquiries rose seven fold in three years. Most women asking for the surgery were in their late teens or early 20s, though as young as 10 or 11. In almost all cases, requests came from women with completely healthy vulvas, but seeking more attractive genitals.
- Women’s genital perceptions are significantly related to their gynecological care perceptions and intentions. (In other words, if a woman has negative perceptions about her genitals she is less likely to seek gynecological care.)
- Among the top five questions asked to some popular sex educators is “Is my vagina normal?”
I am a very odd person. In a sea of men I would stick out like a sore thumb. I prefer natural to fake in almost everything. From food to breasts. From natural to make-up. I prefer a woman who inner beauty makes her beautiful outwardly because the inner beauty seeps out of the pores and demands people notice her outward loveliness. There are plenty of “attractive women” who have the personality of a bucking bronco and that makes them so ugly on the outside. Why do we let other people dictate to our sons and daughters how someone is supposed to look? Who died and made Hollywood, Vogue or Playboy the boss of femininity? It is passed time that we teach our children respect for themselves and respect for others again.
It’s way passed time to let them know that the color of their skin, the amount of money in their wallets, the clothes that they where or the house they live in is in now way any indication of their self worth. Every single person on this planet is special and unique and there will never be another soul like them. Everyone deserves the same amount of respect and love that the ‘pretty people’ or the ‘rich people’ or the people who don’t wear hoodies deserve. No one is better than anyone else. No not one.
Teach your friends and family. Your sons and your daughters that the way God made them is sufficient and approval from any other person is not required here. And ladies, if you want a true perspective on how your genitalia, ask any man how he feels about the subject. I guarantee he will tell you that the way God made a woman is one of the most beautiful sights to behold. Snow capped mountains, the arms of the Milky Way on a cool Winter night, the birth of a child, fresh snow fall that nobody has walked on, the crashing surf on an island paradise, and female genitalia are beautiful sights to behold.
Everybody wants to preach acceptance and tolerance of this thing and that thing. If you want to teach tolerance, it should begin at home with yourself. Learn to accept who you are first and it will be easier to accept others just the way they are.